Friday, December 8, 2006

The Romance of Romans--One

some time ago, i wrote an interpretative paraphrase of paul's letter to the romans as a devotional exercise. some of my friends encouraged me to put it into a booklet form. i plan on reprinting it soon, but i'm also going to post little sections of it on our blog and make some comments about the posts from time to time. here's the first installement.

The Romance of Romans:
The Passionate Pursuit of God that Flows from Genuine Faith

Chapter 1

This is a letter from Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be a divine ambassador I was apprehended for the express purpose of spreading the good news of God that was spoken of in times past by the prophets in the holy scriptures. This message centers around his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who, in his humanity, was "the Son of David". He was also proven to be "the Son of God" when he was raised from the dead through the power of the Holy Spirit. Through the same Spirit I have received this ambassadorial commission to introduce many people from many nations, for the honor of Christ, into the passionate pursuit of God that flows from genuine faith. You are a part of this great company who have been chosen by Jesus himself. Yes, I write this to all the believers in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy ones: Grace and peace be yours from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I want to first thank God through Jesus for all of you because your faith in Christ has become known throughout the whole world. Before God whom I serve with all my heart in spreading this good news, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I pray for you constantly. My hope and prayer are that God may finally allow me the joy of coming to visit you. I long to meet you and impart to you the spiritual gift that God has given me to firmly establish believers in Christ. Beyond this, I want us to experience the encouragement that comes through a mutual exchange of faith- we both have something to give each other.
I want you to know that I have many times planned to visit you that I might have the privilege of winning some Romans to Jesus, as I have had in other places. However, it wasn't God's time. I have a sense of obligation to win all kinds of people to Christ; both the educated and the uneducated. So, I am very excited to preach the good news in the "melting pot" of Rome, if God wills.

For I am not ashamed of the good news of Christ. It is the very power of God that imparts salvation to every person who believes it; to the Jews first and also to the Gentiles. (A past history with and greater knowledge about God implies a greater opportunity to "receive" from him.) Through this message God's own righteousness is revealed from heaven and imparted to people, from start to finish, on the basis of faith.

Comments: the gospel itself is the most "prophetic" message that could ever be spoken out of the lips of Christ followers. it revolves around the availability of a new quality and kind of righteousness to all the peoples of the earth--God's own righteousness--that is offered as a free gift to all who would open their hearts to Him to humbly and gratefully receive it. mysteriously, the gospel of Jesus is rooted deeply in the scritures and promises of the old testament, although it was significantly shrouded until the events actually came to pass in human history and the Holy Spirit provided the "20-20" hindsight.

Jesus revealed to his first followers the fuller meaning and application of these prophecies through the illuminating grace of the Holy Spirit working within them to open their hearts and minds. the story of His interactions with the disciples on the road to emmaus in luke 24 is a great illustration of this kind of dynamic. Jesus, after His resurrection, also personally visited, from time to time, with His first followers over a period of forty days explaining to them the prophetic scriptures that related to His life and the gospel. can you imagine being present at those bible studies led by the risen Christ?! yet, these kinds of bible studies are still available to us--Christ is still risen and speaking to His followers, the Spirit has also come to indwell us and illuminate us as our great Teacher and we are capable of comprehending the aspotolic/prophetic gospel embedded and revealed throughout the bible--old and new testaments alike.

let's invite the risen Jesus to attend and lead our next bible study and listen for His voice of wisdom among us.

No comments: