Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Romance of Romans-Part 1

As I continue to blog, in general, about God's Big "God Story" I want to take a bit of a turn. Some years ago, as a part of my devotional times, I attempted to put the book of Romans into more modern idioms and words that I believe express what Paul was getting at. I've called it an "interpretative paraphrase". I'm sure that many of the ways that I rephrase what our English translations say are not perfect. The exercise is akin to what preachers do when they take a passage and attempt to teach the meaning of God's word to their listeners. No preachers do this without some inaccuracies along the way--sometimes rather major inaccuracies. So...believers need to do their own study and research of Bible books and sift through what teachers teach. And...this is not just a personal matter. I believe that one of the most important spiritual disciplines of the community of God's people has always been to "wrestle together", in a spirit of love for God and one another, with the Scriptures and their meaning. I am still seeking the face of God about and searching out what the book of Romans really teaches.
It is in this context that I am offering the body of my little booklet, The Romance of Romans, and some commentary along the way. After reading my paraphrase, many of my friends encouraged me to make this into a booklet and publish it. So I did. Now, I will offer in parts on my various blogsites. www.michael-radius.blogspot.com, http://groups.google.com/group/friends-of-radius; www.myspace.com/radiuspage; http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael_Sullivant/516978475


The Romance of Romans:
The Passionate Pursuit of God that Flows from Genuine Faith
An Interpretative Paraphrase of Paul's Letter to the Romans


Chapter 1
This is a letter from Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be a divine ambassador I was apprehended for the express purpose of spreading the good news of God that was spoken of in times past by the prophets in the holy scriptures. This message centers around his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who, in his humanity, was the Son of David. He was also proven to be "the Son of God" when he was raised from the dead through the power of the Holy Spirit. Through the same Spirit I have received this ambassadorial commission to introduce many people from many nations, for the honor of Christ, into the passionate pursuit of God that flows from genuine faith. You are a part of this great company who have been chosen by Jesus himself. Yes, I write this to all the believers in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy ones: Grace and peace be yours from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Comments: There are many believers in our day longing to tap the power that comes through prophecy. In my view, this has resulted in both healthy and unhealthy things. One way that our eagerness for "the prophetic" can be properly informed is to embrace a clear and foundational priority that gives proper shape to any other forms of genuine prophecy. This is...the passionate understanding that communicating the gospel of Jesus itself is the most "prophetic" message that could ever be spoken out of the lips of Christ followers. This Great News revolves around the availability of a new quality and kind of righteousness to all the peoples of the earth. Through Christ, God's own righteousness is offered as a free gift to all who would open their hearts to Him to humbly and gratefully receive it. And also...that this righteousness involves the reality and promise that he has and will, in his time and manner, turn the whole of his good creation, that has been dramatically and tragically invaded by evil, "right side up" through who Jesus is and what Jesus has done.
The gospel is rooted deeply in the prophetic scriptures and promises of the Old Testament, although it was significantly shrouded until the events actually came to pass in human history and the Holy Spirit provided the "20-20" hindsight.
This Divinely prophetic message is what fueled Paul's (and the whole Church's) "apostleship" into the cultures of this world by the power of the Spirit for the honor of Jesus Christ.

No comments: